Proof that the Conservatives Hate Democracy
Years ago, the Liberals took the high road and made an important first step in institutionalizing democracy in Canada by creating a public subsidy of $1.95 per vote that every Canadian casts at the ballot box.
This simple move extended a financial life-line to all Federal political parties and has prevented the Conservatives from obtaining a majority in Canadian politics. It also became a financial gesture and substitute for something more desparately needed: proportional representation.
Today, Jim Flaherty will likely cut this off.
Today, the Conservatives will show their disdain for democracy and prove that they loathe discussion, dialogue and concessions with the rest of Canada.
Today, we will lose democracy in Canada.
Today, they will prove that they hate Canadians that do not vote Conservative.
Even the possibility or rumour of this threat is hard to stomach. And yet, it’s there.
Now, if they want to save a mere $30 million, look around at where you’re forking out cash to your buddies. In the last Federal budget (2007), Jim Flaherty and the Conservatives announced some of the following expenditures:
- $60 million in wage increases to the Canadian Forces.
- $300 million in funds to friends as a subsidy for an unproven drug for children (HPV virus).
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Check out these increases:
- $14.3 billion: 2004 Dept of Defence budget (6.8% of federal spending)
- $14.6 billion: 2005-06
- $18.9 billion: 2008-09
- $15 billion in spending announced by Stephen Harper in June 2006 to be spread over several years, mainly for planes, trucks and other transportation
- Government pledge to increase spending by 2% every year for the next 20 years
In other words, the annual Department of Defence budget will be tens of billions of dollars, while Canadian voters are getting shafted by not having their preferred politic parties get funding. Our Defence budget will grow, on a per-capita basis, to one of the largest on the planet, and yet we won’t be able to get a few bucks to the opposition.
THIS IS WRONG. IT MUST STOP.
Join this group to remind the Conservatives that we ALL do not tolerate this trash: