Here Comes the Conservative Propoganda Machine
Like clockwork, the Goebbels-like Conservative propoganda machine will be kicking into high gear over the next few days.
As Canadians are watching the Olympics (something I wish more of us would boycott), they’ll be pounded with ads from the Cons, err, ‘Canada’s New Government’. The Cons effectively own CTV, given the volume of manipulative taxpayer-funded ads they run, and the CTV will be the source of most of the tracking of events for the Olympics.
(As a side note, as Canadians, we should all be demanding a stake in CTV given the millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on TV ads with this media monopoly).
When the ads come out, don’t expect any negative attack ads.
These ads will be all about touchy feely stuff, particularly the massive (and ridiculously unintelligent) tax savings being thrown around like silver dollars at a US bicentennial birthday party (believe me … it happened).
They’ll talk about Canada’s massive action plan that’s taking place across the country, even though most of it is repaving roads and changing a few doorknobs.
They’ll talk about how Canada needs to support our troops and how we need to encourage a safe, secure land free of terrorists.
They’ll talk about economic stability and their only hint of attack will be that we don’t want to use something as inconvenient as democracy to destabilize the country.
I’ll tell you what’s destabilizing: Conservatives.
The province of Ontario and all of its municipalities are STILL dealing with financial shortfalls because of the Harris Conservatives, most of whom have been bounced out of provincial politics and who somehow stupidly got into federal politics.
What’s destabilizing is slashing a progressive and productive tax on consumption (the GST) by more than 30% from 7% to 5%. Is it any wonder that we’re encountering structural deficits? Jim Flaherty is entitled to run our country’s finances as much as Shamu should be running a sushi bar.
Think about it: Conservatives have never been able to balance the books even though they claim they’re the ones for stability in rough economic times. In the US, Americans acquired more debt under George Bush Jr. than all US presidents combined. In the 1980s, the Mulroney government introduced the GST in order to finally stabilize the finances from fiscal recklessness.
But back to the ads. I’ll tell you what they won’t talk about:
- What they won’t talk about is how democracy is just a little inconvenience on their way to theocracy.
- What they won’t talk about is how most Canadians can’t even benefit from these tax ‘incentives’ because you need an income before you can claim a deduction.
- What they won’t talk about are the proto-Fascist knuckle-dragging Christian evangelists that are being parachuted into every single government department in the country, poisoning the public well for decades to come.
- What they won’t talk about is how they saw the US coming and how they dropped the pants of all Canadians with their recent ‘trade break-through’ with the Americans.
- What they won’t talk about is how they could care less about human rights if you’re brown, red, yellow, progressive or speak any other language than ‘Carbonish’.
- What they won’t talk about is how world leaders won’t even shake Stephen Harper’s hand because he’s a massive liability to any politician.
But if you insist on watching, enjoy the games.
And get ready for the BIG BOO.