Steve is Stuck in the 50s
I figured it out. Canada has its own version of a very uncool, very unpopular Austin Powers. In fact, I need to correct myself: we have a version of Dr. Evil (I wish I was good at doing image mockups, but I think you get where I’m going with this).
Stephen Harper has found a time machine and has dropped the entire nation of Canada in the 1950s.
You don’t believe me?
- The Cold War is still going on. The evil Ruskies are everywhere. (Is our PM really trying to pick a fight with Russia? Really? Does he think we’re all that stupid? Don’t answer … we are.)
- Everyone is white and Canada belongs to ‘Europeans’.
- McCarthyism is in full swing. Fear and reprisal are everywhere. No one can be trusted. Arrests of ‘terrorists’ are constant, ongoing and ubiquitous. We will fill jails with those that oppose us.
- Roads and the auto industry are the only things worth saving in this country, but it’s too bad those damn unions are gumming things up.
- There is no “Internet”. It’s just print and TV and our friends in those media universes will help us ‘shape’ our messages to Canadians (just like our friend Goebbels did in the 30s and 40s!)
- We fold the map of time and our political landscape follows Dief the Chief and no one else. The Liberal domination from the 1960s onwards never happened.
- Women are supposed to be bare-foot and pregnant in the kitchen (or publicly humiliated when they act up a bit).
- GOD is the only religion, dammit. Everything else is magic and witchcraft (and should be punishable by death, a la Sun editorials).
In the progressive world and for most others, we know this isn’t true, but Stevie and his 15-20% of Canada’s population as minions are stuck in the 50s.
What can we do to move forward?
How do we end Canada’s pain?