Meadowlily Action (Against WalMart)
Please see details below for an action item related to Meadowlily Woods in London, Ontario.
Now … this call to action gave me an idea: it’s about time that we (ie. the people of the Earth) took Wal-Mart’s shit to their own front door. It’s time we collectively proposed a nuclear power plant, a manure processing facility, a waste treatment plant, a PCB dump and a thousand other forms of pestilence and destruction that would remind all of the ass clowns in Bentonville, Arkansas how much they’re benefitting from the wholesale (or should I say retail) defilement of this planet.
I’d like the people of Bentonville to realize that it’s their turn to have to get a council meeting organized and that they have to assemble a rag-tag group of environmentalists and unpaid local councillors to oppose the magnificent force that we’ll call An Irate Planet.
Here’s an example of why I’m so ticked with this town:
I can see all kinds of ideas materializing:
- Various social pages and discussion groups discussing what we should dump on their doorstep;
- A ‘mockumentary’ (a la ‘Yes Men’) that exposes the frivolity of local townies in Bentonville opposing the kind of crap that they sling on the rest of the world;
- A letter-writing campaign to every inhabitant of Bentonville, pleading them to stop their company from assaulting the world with its tsunami waves of economic plight;
- A group of musicians getting together to sing about how pretty Bentonville is compared to the rest of the world;
- Maybe a work of fiction that showcases the reaction of a group of people in Bentonville finally coming to the realization that the more they benefit, the more the rest of the world suffers.
It’s time we all found a way to react in a unified manner rather than with fragmented and dislocated voices. Wal-Mart will continue to manipulate councilors that have no dignity or moral code and who don’t care about the legacy that they leave behind.
What do you think?
And now … here’s the post about London, Ontario’s latest abomination when it comes to Wal-Mart:
CALL TO ACTION: SAVE MEADOWLILY WOODS
Wednesday, February 10th, from 6-9pm, the City of London is hosting a “Public Visioning Session” for the Meadowlily Area.
This will “provide a basis for Official Plan land use designations and policies to be adopted by City Council, providing a framework for Council decisions affecting future land use.”
More importantly the meeting will involve “the community and stakeholders“, which means the SmartCentres developers who work for Wal-Mart will be able to push for the big box development they want to locate on the edge of Meadowlily Woods.
IT IS VITAL THAT PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT PRESERVING OUR FEW REMAINING ENVIRONMENTALLY SIGNIFICANT AREAS ATTEND THIS MEETING! WE CANNOT LET THE PEOPLE FROM SMART CENTRES CONTROL THE OUTCOME OF THIS MEETING.
The meeting happens at the Summerside Community Church, 1447 Commissioners Rd. East.
The formal presentation begins at 7:00pm, so I would strongly suggest arriving no later than 6:30pm.
You can learn more about this at: www.london.ca/meadowlily
and join the facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-ON/Meadowlily-Woods-Environmentally-Sensitive-Area/19676496874?ref=ts
Also, please help spread the word to others who want to protect London’s dwindling supply of environmentally significant areas.