All the Best for 2009!
Well folks, 2008 was … interesting.
I lived through what felt like Canada’s first tumble into dictatorship, thanks to Steve. I watched the opposition parties collapse into one blend of bad policy to be picked up by another dictator-wanna-be.
In the media world, I’ve help initiate a media boycott against the like of Bell, Rogers and Canwest that I hope will pick up speed in 2009.
I’ve seen things change in the US, but I’m afraid that they won’t change enough.
And I’ve watched the capitalist system that most of us at least respect fall into disrepair not because of some trifling philosophical detail, but because everyone at the top are too blind with greed to realize that they are running the whole damn thing into the ground.
After that, I’m not going to try to recap what happened in the world that I tried to report on during 2008. All I can say is that I did my best, tried to check my emotion at the door (although I feel my best posts were when I was most irate) and share stories that would help all of you feel energized about our futures, despite what some clowns are telling us to think/feel/do.
What I did want to take a second to reflect on was the good that happened to me:
- I’m alive (some friends passed this year and they’re sorely missed)
- I’ve got a family that I can count on
- I’ve got some cash flow (although like everyone out there, I’d be excited if it was bigger)
- We’re doing our best to get our debts under control, despite the economy
- I should have more chapters for my book "Excited Delirium" posted within the next week or so
- I will post some short stories early in the new year
- I plan to start another couple of books during 2009. One will comment on the direction that the economy should take and the other will be another attempt at fiction.
In short: life is good and I’m hoping to give more than I get in 2009. Please comment freely and tell me how I can do better.