Harper: Worst PM in Canadian History
Stephen Harper Worst PM in Canadian History. Thank you National Observer.
As an aside, National Observer and Canadaland (Jesse Brown) are pretty much the only two sources of content that I trust these days. The CBC just vomits back junk from Canadian Press (a privately held news engine) and the PMO.
What’s not listed is the ongoing media war that the Harper regime imposes on the average Canadian. They are oblivious, of course, but Harper perpetuates an important cycle that keeps him in power:
- Get endorsements from media ‘pundits’ for being the only one capable of ‘leading’ and ‘managing’ the economy and protecting us from terrorism
- Fund media pundits indirectly by tapping an unlimited base of public funds for advertising boondoggles like the Canadian Economic (Distr)action Plan, National Defence, RCMP, Parks Canada, etc etc etc
- Keeping this otherwise bloated, inefficient and failing monopolies alive using these public funds (remember that in 2008 several of them went to the Harper government with hands out looking for hundreds of millions of dollars. No car companies = no advertising revenue).
- Feeding these useless media companies with endless piles of tripe from the Harper-created, taxpayer-funded ’24/7′ news network
- Never giving any content except for advertising
- Keeping the attack ads alive by carefully switching out public ads with Conservative political campaigns (ie. ensuring that they have negotiated and booked media long before anyone else can, strategically nudging other parties into the most expensive ad slots and pricing categories)
- Starving the CBC of quality management, personnel or funding
- Getting endorsements because they’ve helped create an elite class of journalist / public officials alive and well
The media war will continue and we’ll lose Canada as a result.
Mark my words.